Simple Startup Accountrepreneur
Apply as soon as possible
An accountant (preferably CPA) with a proven track record of building and leading accounting teams. You’re looking to become part of a high-energy team in beautiful Boulder, Colorado where you will play a key role in building a successful company that already has great traction. You love to communicate, are obsessive about the details, and do all this with a big smile on your face!
- Ability to manage and delegate. You will be building, developing and coordinating a full accounting team to service our clients.
- Proven experience working with clients in various accounting systems (You must be certified in Quickbooks, QB Online, Bill.com and be Expensify approved before the employment start date.Working knowledge of Avatax is also preferred.)
- Strong working knowledge of Google Suite (Drive, Docs, Gmail etc.)
- Phenomenal attention to detail. You don’t guess, you know. If you don’t know, you seek greater understanding.
- Self awareness – you know when you are making assumptions and you validate (or invalidate) these assumptions. Only then do you move on
- An addiction to process. You love that sh*t.
- An obsession with numbers.
- Proactivity. You think like an owner. You go out and independently research ways to serve our customers better, improve the processes/systems we use and do whatever it takes to treat them like rock stars!
Changing the face of finance!
We help awesome entrepreneurs simplify their finances, understand the numbers and make smart, informed business decisions. We make finance FUN! (it is possible…)
We are committed to making your role fun, rewarding and challenging. We do weekly Thirsty Thursdays and monthly team outings (think escape room, bowling, volleyball…)
We have an awesome office in Industrious in Downtown Boulder with lots of perks, including free coffee and snacks, limitless La Croix and the occasional in-office massage. We also offer 25 days PTO each year, health/dental/vision benefits, and an RTD Eco-pass.
Your primary role will be as an Accounting Manager providing strategic bookkeeping and accounting support for the kick-ass clients we serve. You will be the point person for at least 7-10 clients that are or will be going through various rounds of institutional financing. This includes:
- Developing and managing a team of bookkeepers and associates both in Boulder and remotely to serve the needs of our clients
- Coordinating the collection, consolidation, reporting and evaluation of financial data.
- Maintaining accounting controls by establishing a chart of accounts and defining accounting policies and procedures (i.e. helping the client create an accounting department ‘how to’ handbook)
- Offering observations and recommendations on operational issues where pertinent
- Contributing accounting information and recommendations to clients’ strategic plans
- Preparing and completing action plans for clients’ on-boarding and on-going service – and sticking to those plans like glue!
- Helping clients resolve accounting and financial related problems – many of which are urgent
- Identifying trends and opportunities for system improvements and helping implement those changes
- Assisting clients in the budgeting and forecasting process; preparing budget; analyzing variances; making recommendations on corrective actions.
- Executing month-end and year-end close process
- Managing and processing client AR/AP
- Reconciling bank, cash and credit card accounts
- Telling awesome jokes
- Managing client expense reporting, payroll transactions and payroll allocation
- Preparing financial statements (balance sheet, P&L, cash flow)
- Reviewing and troubleshooting inventory management and COGS issues
- Mentoring, teaching and supporting team members to assist in their professional growth
- Having FUN!!!!
More About You…
- Ambitious – you are in this for the long-haul. We want someone to help us grow our business and as a result grow with us. You jump at new projects and put your hand up first to volunteer to solve a problem. ‘That’s not my job’ are words you’d never say.
- A people lover – you’re a friendly, helpful and professional individual who is able to build personal relationships.
- An autonomist – you are comfortable making decisions. We’re growing fast so things can get pretty hectic.
- A great communicator – you love striking up conversation at the grocery store (but not in a weird way!) and your greatest desire is to put people at ease.
- A good teacher – someone who takes joy in helping others understand finance and accounting concepts, particularly those with minimal or no experience. It gives you a kick to watch as the person you’re helping begins to really get what you’re talking about.
- Highly focused – you are organized and have the ability to multi-task effectively. You also thrive under pressure and can juggle multiple tasks without breaking a sweat!
- A leader – you proactively work out who you need on the boat to make it go faster, put together a plan of how to bring on that team and develop that team into a well oiled machine.
Apply as soon as possible!
Thank you for your interest in applying for this role! We look forward to reading your application.
Step 1: How to Apply
Send an email to [email protected] with the subject line “[Job Title]: [Your Name]”. In the email, please include the following:
- Put together a one-page story (instead of a cover letter) that tells us why you are the perfect fit for Simple Startup.
- Include your resume
Step 2: If you move on to the next round, we will have you do the following:
- Have an interview with Simple Startup
- Carry out a small trial project
- Provide at least 2 references
- Come visit us for a day to carry out a variety of in-person trial projects and see if you like hanging out with us : )
Step 3: Our Goal is to Make An Offer ASAP and get you started on our awesome onboarding process!