Apply as soon as possible
An Accounting Manager and CPA with a proven track record of building and leading accounting teams. You’re looking to become part of a high-energy team in beautiful Boulder, Colorado where you will play a key role in building a successful company that already has great traction. You would describe yourself as:
- Curious, hands-on and comfortable in a growing, ever-changing, startup environment; we’re a young company so you won’t always have an abundance of resources to help you guide and execute every decision. You are comfortable making the best decision given the information at hand and iterating and improving as you go along.
- A team player; you have a low ego, high self-awareness, and you care for others; you think about the impact your actions have on the team and the people who make up that team.
- Systems-oriented; you’re always beginning with the end in mind.
- Energetic, resilient, and personally committed to achieving success – you have the desire, ambition, and grit it takes to be a leader.
- Collaborative; you have the proven ability to drive cross-functional partnership with success.
- Autonomous and goal-oriented; you are comfortable making a plan, setting goals, and holding yourself and others accountable for executing and achieving those.
- 3-5 years experience in a similar role
- Your Colorado CPA license
- At least 1 year of experience successfully building, managing, and leading a team in a similar role
- Proven experience working with clients in various accounting systems (You must be certified in Quickbooks, QB Online, Bill.com and be Expensify approved before the employment start date.)
- Strong working knowledge of Google Suite
- Phenomenal attention to detail. You don’t guess, you know. If you don’t know, you seek greater understanding.
Changing the face of finance!
We help awesome entrepreneurs simplify their finances, understand the numbers and make smart, informed business decisions. We make finance FUN! (it is possible…)
We are committed to making your role fun, rewarding and challenging. We do team outings at least once a quarter (think escape room, hiking, volleyball…) and have an awesome office with loads of snacks, weekly happy hours, a killer view, and a limitless supply of La Croix.
Our bangin’ benefits package includes:
- 20 days Paid Time Off each year
- 9 paid holidays plus an extra 3-5 days inbetween the Christmas and New Year holidays
- CPA/CFA Paid Study Leave
- 1 day a week work from home flexibility
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Generous sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave
- An RTD Eco-pass
- Plus the occasional in-office massage or yoga sesh courtesy of our co-working space 🙂
Your primary role will be as a Client Accounting Manager providing strategic bookkeeping and accounting support for the kick-ass clients we serve. You will be the point person for at least 7-10 clients that are or will be going through various rounds of institutional financing. This includes:
- Developing and managing a team of bookkeepers and associates both in Boulder and remotely to serve the needs of our clients
- Coordinating the collection, consolidation, reporting, and evaluation of financial data.
- Maintaining accounting controls by establishing a chart of accounts and defining accounting policies and procedures
- Offering observations and recommendations on operational issues where pertinent
- Contributing accounting information and recommendations to clients’ strategic plans
- Preparing and completing action plans for clients’ on-boarding and on-going service – and sticking to those plans like glue!
- Helping clients resolve accounting and financial related problems – many of which are urgent
- Identifying trends and opportunities for system improvements and helping implement those changes
- Assisting clients in the budgeting and forecasting process; preparing budgets; analyzing variances; making recommendations on corrective actions.
- Executing month-end and year-end close process
- Managing and processing client AR/AP
- Reconciling bank, cash and credit card accounts
- Telling awesome jokes
- Managing client expense reporting, payroll transactions, and payroll allocation
- Preparing financial statements (balance sheet, P&L, cash flow)
- Reviewing financial statements and ensuring quality
- Reviewing and troubleshooting inventory management and COGS issues
- Mentoring, teaching and supporting team members to assist in their professional growth
- Having fun 🙂
More About You…
- Ambitious – you are in this for the long-haul. We want someone to help us grow our business and as a result, grow with us. You jump at new projects and put your hand up first to volunteer to solve a problem. ‘That’s not my job’ are words you’d never say.
- A people lover – you’re a friendly, helpful and professional individual who finds genuine joy in helping others, whether that be your directs, your clients, or the stranger you met at the grocery store whose bags ripped open on their way back to their car.
- A leader – you are comfortable making decisions and taking ownership to help your team and our business grow.
- A great communicator– you love striking up conversation at the grocery store (but not in a weird way!) and your greatest desire is to put people at ease.
- A good teacher– you love helping others understand finance and accounting concepts, particularly those with minimal or no experience. It gives you a kick to watch as the person you’re helping begins to really GET what you’re talking about.
- Highly focused – you are organized and have the ability to multi-task effectively. You also thrive under pressure and can juggle multiple tasks without breaking a sweat!
Thank you for your interest in applying for this role! We look forward to reading your application.
Step 1: How to Apply
Send an email to careers @ simplestartup.com with the subject line “[Job Title]: [Your Name]”. In the email, please include the following:
Put together a one-page story (instead of a cover letter) that tells us why you are the perfect fit for Simple Startup.
Include your resume
Step 2: If you move on to the next round, we will have you do the following:
Have an interview with Simple Startup
Carry out a small trial project
Provide at least 2 references
Come visit us for a day to carry out a variety of in-person trial projects and see if you like hanging out with us : )
Step 3: Our Goal is to Make An Offer ASAP and get you started on our awesome onboarding process!